Chaos Theory: An adventure game is you!

Saryasino
    By Saryasino,

Filed under: Horror, Sci-Fi, MMO Industry, Opinion, The Secret World, Chaos Theory, Buy-to-Play

Chaos Theory An adventure game is you! 24
    I grew up on adventure games before I even knew they were called "adventure games." One of my earliest memories of a friend's computer was playing Adventure. Following that, I was hooked. Maniac Mansion. King's Quest. Zork. Planetfall. Leisure Suit Larry. Space Quest. The Secret of Monkey Island. Sam and Max Hit the Road. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Myst. Gabriel Knight. Syberia. The Longest Journey. Back to the Future. The Walking Dead. I've never stopped loving the fun of exploring these worlds, "earning" the next page of the story, and finding out all of the bizarre ways I could die.

However, at some point in the '90s, games journalists apparently decided that "adventure games were dead." It's something we started hearing a lot of, especially in comparison to all of the fancy new graphics, gameplay features, and fast-paced shooters. Adventure games were seen as a relic of a time when computers couldn't process heavy graphic loads and players were a lot more patient.

I never bought into the "adventure games are dead" mindset. I see them coming back like crazy these days, especially on tablets and mobile devices. And lo and behold, Funcom did something that I would have never thought possible: The studio made an MMO out of an adventure game. That's The Secret World, if you weren't following along.

Continue reading Chaos Theory: An adventure game is you!

MassivelyChaos Theory: An adventure game is you! originally appeared on Massively on Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article

Chaos Theory: A guide to auxiliary weapons in The Secret World

Saryasino
    By Saryasino,

Filed under: Horror, Real-Life, Game Mechanics, Opinion, The Secret World, Guides, Chaos Theory, Buy-to-Play

Chaos Theory A guide to getting your auxiliary weapons
    With Issue #7 A Dream to Kill inching closer and closer, my anticipation for the new auxiliary weapon coming to The Secret World is reaching near impossible heights. I'll admit it: As a pyro at heart, I am giddy with the thought of wrapping my hands around a permanent flamethrower! And I'm certainly not alone in that sentiment, either.

But an excitement for the new weapon doesn't diminish any of the current ones that are already in game; each auxiliary weapon -- the rocket launcher, the chainsaw, the quantum brace, and the whip -- is awesome in its own right with distinct skills and style. Is one right for you? Heck yeah! If you aren't taking advantage of an auxiliary weapon, you are depriving yourself of some extra oomph in your fights, not to mention an eighth active and passive skill on your hot bar.

How do you know which one is better for you? Honestly, you needn't choose just one; as with regular weapons, you can earn all four. But with a hefty price of 35 SP per weapon, payable all at once, it's impossible to get more than one at a time. So which do you choose first? And then how do you go about getting it? This guide will give a general overview of the four current auxiliary weapons and the paths to acquiring them.

Continue reading Chaos Theory: A guide to auxiliary weapons in The Secret World

MassivelyChaos Theory: A guide to auxiliary weapons in The Secret World originally appeared on Massively on Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article

Black Weekend Event starting this Friday! (June 14th)

Saryasino
    By Saryasino,

Black Weekend Event starting this Friday!

Accursed_Woods2-612x337.jpg

This weekend everyone will be able to enjoy great bonuses in The Secret World.

The special Black Weekend Event begins Friday the 14th at 15:00 CET (9 am EST) and lasts until Monday the 17th of June at 15:00 CET (9 am EST). These are the special event bonuses for the Black Weekend:

Double XP!

Every day you log into the Secret World during the event you can claim a potion in the Item Store which doubles the XP you earn from killing monsters. Each potion lasts 8 hours. The potions can be claimed once per account every 24 hours.

Bonus Black Bullion

Every time you would get Black Bullion in The Secret World, such as from defeating a Nightmare Dungeon boss or using the Condenser of Quintessence, you will get one extra bonus Black Bullion during the event!

Free Black Boots

Log in during the event and claim a pair of free Black Heavy Buckled Boots from the Item Store. Remember, monster hunters look awesome in black!

Free Membership Months for Recruiting!

For every new player you recruit from today and until the end of the Black Weekend Event you get a free month of Membership in addition to the Veteran Points you get normally (if you are a Grandmaster customer you receive $15 worth of Bonus Points instead). (To receive the month of Membership or Bonus Points you must invite between now and the end of the Black Weekend and the recruit must purchase The Secret World within 30 days.) Your recruitment page is available on your account page here.

• DarkOmen Twitter

• Links

links