Sign in to follow this  
SFI'BeZerKoManDr

Star Trek Behind the Scenes: Franchise in Retrograde

Have you watched Discovery? I have and actually like it.  

No!  I haven't seen any Discovery yet except some youtube reviews.  I guess they have started the new segment in the Mirror Universe and Lorka may be originally from Mirror U... Like Enterprise it seems to have had a choppy liftoff, but maybe they will cover a new part of Trek history with good episodes and build their characters.  I wanted to see Axinar but it sounds like a new movie could be a departure from the alternate timelines stories of the last three and maybe involve some marooned Star Trek personalities. 

On 1/29/2018 at 12:34 AM, SFI'BeZerKoManDr said:

No!  I haven't seen any Discovery yet except some youtube reviews.  I guess they have started the new segment in the Mirror Universe and Lorka may be originally from Mirror U... Like Enterprise it seems to have had a choppy liftoff, but maybe they will cover a new part of Trek history with good episodes and build their characters.  I wanted to see Axinar but it sounds like a new movie could be a departure from the alternate timelines stories of the last three and maybe involve some marooned Star Trek personalities. 

It would be worth getting the CBS all access trial and binge watching them. I liked Enterprise too.

https://www.cbs.com/all-access/user/signup/?ref=__iv_p_1_g_15527027287_w_kwd-170170798567_h_9033506_ii__d_c_v__n_g_c_247169935667_k_cbs all access trial_m_e_l__t__e_1450427895_r_1t2_vi__&utm_source=paidsearch&ftag=AAMbabf5a9&vndid=google$null$null$cbs all access trial&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKXbqbKA2QIVEER-Ch1YBQDaEAAYAiABEgJOAfD_BwE

It's a 7 day trial. 

Amazon offers it as a 3 day trial through Amazon channels also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/offers/signup?benefitID=cbsaacf&ref=DVM_PDS_GOO_US_AC_C_A_HTe_2_CBSAAL_M|c_243921281985_m_PoLHInQY-dc_s__

I'll start watching.  I just wish they hadn't cocked up the Klingons' appearance and added more forehead pleating.  They had an explanation of why they lost their ridges in this time period from Enterprise and one DS9 episode and wrecked continuity.

I watched the first episode and I did like it.  One question, why if "no one has seen a Klingon for 100 yrs" does the Klingon raid that killed Burnam's parents not counted, some 15 yrs earlier?

For that matter, why didn't they send a larger boarding party to the Klingon ship in episode 1?  Actually, I watched 8 episodes and I like it a lot.  I think the bad youtube reviews were undeserved; it does represent Star Trek in a true fashion even though it has a different tone.

I put the now one had seen the klingons since Captain Archer's time similar to the Romulans in the original. No one had seen them in over 100 years either.

They  did a really good job I think with the mirror universe episodes.

I watched the rest of them and well, yeah I think its pretty great now-- they did a plot loop to bring back Georgiou and put her on the Discovery, which seems so right and it looks like the Mirror Universe is cast in the series definitive role like the Q were in Next Gen... there are still some things I don't understand exactly  but I guess I'll give them the same consideration of not pulling too hard at the threads as Disco IS a Star Trek show.  The long absence of the Romulans has according to existing canon timelines already begun circa some 10 yrs after the end of Enterprise following the war at the birth of the Federation and now they specifically state Archer's crew was the last to visit Kro'nos in the beginning of Ent.  The war with the Klingons was covered in Axinar's time period just prior to Kirk and I think now this is telling the story of that initial conflict in Discovery.  The Klingons and Romulans I think following that had a brief allianceThere's discontinuity there because the Romulans originally trade cloaking technology to the Klingons for a non Fusion powered updated Bird of Prey hull configuration which is supposed to explain why the Romulan ships in their TOS appearance were exactly the same as Klingons in different paint scheme... NOT budget considerations or anything else.. After they become enemies, the Klingon engineers are extracted from Romulan employ and they redesign their ships into a precursor Warbird.  

I'd like to know if the Suliban part of Enterprise and the aberrations to the Temporal Cold War which became hot, are part of Discovery's history or not.  Because Star Fleet should be familiar with cloaking technology already from Suliban contact.  In the Mirror Enterprise, they used the same Suliban shuttle to adapt cloaking technology to the Defiant and from what they describe of the Defiant maybe the Archer and Hoshi etc. events of those episodes have not happened in this featured Mirror Universe in Disco.  Sort of a parallel universe like the Prime and alternate versions of the Kirk timeline with the recent movies, there is an alternate Mirror Universe.  In fact that would make this the Prime Mirror universe and the other one continued in DS9 being an alternative Mirror U. 

We don't see the Defiant here and I believe in the TOS episode where they encounter the Defiant with a dead crew was the result of reacting to the Mirror environment which in this case made them suddenly as savage as the Terrans and they went crazy and they left it in the rift to later be retrieved by the Tholians.  The Terrans might have recovered it later but the technology difference of the future Star Fleet ship was maybe not as figurative if it was later in time, if Archer didn't capture it earlier.  The Terrans did not thus receive the subsequent boost in technology that they did beginning with Empress Sato... Maybe the rebels are not as badly off in this timeline either as they were in the Ent glimpse, where the Defiant added to the Terran's power.  As things stood sans Defiant, the Terran Empire was on the verge of destruction.  If there's a version of the Mirror Universe without contact with the Suliban, the Enterprise would not have been able to cloak and get to the Defiant...  We also don't know if they made it out of the base before Georgiou strafed it; they have Sarek and it seems other additional elements in their leadership and are perhaps now with the Charon gone able to challenge the Empire in this Mirror Universe.

U. http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2018/02/06/star-trek-discovery-1x14-the-war-without-the-war-within-review/

Told you that you'd like it. 

Well I'm not going to belabor the point...

There are different theories going now about ramifications of Discovery season 1. 

One is Admiral Catrina Cornwell becomes the character "Lethe" from TOS episode Dagger of the Mind.  The actresses do resemble each other. (Justin Oser)

DM3Ams1V4AE-Zz-.jpg
DM3AmszUMAAQGW0.jpg

Here's something I'm wondering:  Could T'Pol be the new Vulcan captain of Discovery??  She should still be going strong and Archer is alluded to as an elderly Admiral in ST 11.

Since they mention that no one has been to the Klingon home-world in 100 years (referencing Captain Archer and crew) T'pol would be about 170-180 (remembering the age she said she was to Trip in a particular episode of Enterprise) 

Yes, 60 wasn't it?  Well I guess she'd be on the old side to be a captain again even by Vulcan standards.  It doesn't make sense for Archer and his dog to be alive 10 yrs from beginning of Discovery, really.

I guess Pahvo got destroyed anyway since they couldn't get the data to Starfleet after breaking the Klingon cloak.  Saru will presumably never recover the peace he had being relieved of fear by the Pahvans.  We can hope to see the Kelpian predator species at some point, the regular Universe- Lorca... Spock... maybe the several bridge officers who had appreciable roles as their Mirror selves will actually say consecutive sentences and do something in the story.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:46 PM, SFI'BeZerKoManDr said:

Yes, 60 wasn't it?  Well I guess she'd be on the old side to be a captain again even by Vulcan standards.  It doesn't make sense for Archer and his dog to be alive 10 yrs from beginning of Discovery, really.

They didn't say Archer was alive still. Just that it has been 100 years since humans had been to the Klingon homeworld.

Ah- I was going from the first Star Trek reboot movie... Scottie explains he was banished to the frozen outpost for super-transporting Admiral Archer's beagle, Porthos, and he hasn't yet re-appeared.  That was supposed to be 10 years from Discovery, before the timeline divergence.